Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Greatest Poets of the 20th Century

Thoughts on The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost « ‘The Road Lestraveleded’

T.S. Elliot, was certainly one of the greatest poets of the 20thth Century along with W.H. Auden, Allen Ginsburg, Ezra Pound, Ted Hughes, Langston Hughes, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Robert Frost , Dylan Thomas,and a.e.Cummings.
T.S. Elliot, more than any of the others successfully conveyed the "angst und drang" of the century. Tedious frivolity and meanlingless communication were frequent subjects of his poems but there was as well a strong trace of Buddhist feeling to most of his latter works.
Ginsburg conveyed the desperate frustration and sadness of his era in "Howl".
Auden suggested the ennui of the pre-war era.

No one, so far has suggested nominees for the "20 th Century Poets Hall of Fame"
Any takers?

1 comment:

pilgrimchick said...

Frost was indeed a good poet, and coming from New England myself, I can give him an enthusiastic nod, however, I am much more of a 19th century poem fan rather than the 20th. If I think of any I like, I will be back to suggest, but if you put up a post about 19th century literature or poets, be sure to let me know.