Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mama He Sold the Farm

Less than two miles from my home in south west Austin, there was this wonderful small (by Texas standards) farm. It was surrounded by a huge shopping center that included all the usual suspects like Home Depot, Circuit City, Linens etc. They had a couple of donkeys who grazed accross the road from Pier One and a bunch of cows grazing opposite Circuit City. Nice barns outbuildings and tractors - it was the real thing and looked like the farm had been there for quite a while.

Today when I drove by, the farm was gone and bulldozers were grading the ground for the construction of more temples of the Church of Consumerism. It happened so fast that it had a major effect on my mood. I got a bad case of the "There They Go Again Blues". Pretty soon the whole country is going to be one huge shopping mall; from "Sea to Shining Sea". Mile after mile of Borders, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy and Burger Kings, Circuit City, Cosco, Compuserve, & on and on.

"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" They'll shop 'til they drop and then get up and shop some more. Trying so hard to fill the emptiness of their lives with all the shit they don't need and can't afford.
"That one don't work? Okay, try this Visa, I just got it the other day.
I got more than twenty cards and I'm maxed out on fifteen but I just gotta have that phone with the vibrator attachment"

No comments: